Meet MadCap Flare
Whether you need to create technical documentation for online Help, software and API documentation, policy & procedure manuals, knowledge bases or user guides, MadCap Flare allows you to create, manage and publish content to a variety of formats, including print, online, desktop and mobile.
Authoring, Publishing and Content Management
A complete solution for technical communicators and content developers, MadCap Flare offers advanced features to maximize authoring efficiency and content reuse, including:
- Advanced Multi-channel Publishing
- Topic-Based Authoring for Maximum Content Reuse
- Advanced Single Source Content Development
- Out-of-the-box Project Templates
- Scalability for Enterprise
- Open Standards-based for Flexibility and Future-proof Content
- Advanced Analytics, Reporting & Social Collaboration
- Team Collaboration and Project Management
- Advanced Import Capabilities to Leverage Existing Content
- Patented XML WYSIWG Editor
- Content Management Support
- Multi-language Authoring, Translation and Publishing
- Accessibility Compliance
Reach Your Audience Anywhere with Advanced
Multi-channel Publishing and Responsive HTML5 Output
Ensure your content is accessible to your end users, wherever they are, and however they prefer to consume your content.
- Publish content to an increasing number of formats including HTML5, WebHelp, PDF, Word, XHTML, EPUB, DITA and more
- Flare utilizes Responsive Design technology to ensure your web-based content can be read by any user regardless of screen size or device
- Move beyond the tripane with stunning frameless HTML5 web output for online Help, policy guides, knowledge bases and more.
- Advanced print capabilities, including CMYK support, OpenType Fonts, vector graphic support and more for any high-end print publishing needs
- Flare’s publishing versatility is unmatched: Create knowledge bases, policies & procedures guides, eBooks, online Help, API documentation and more.
Maximize Content Reuse with Topic-Based Authoring
Topic-based authoring is a modular content creation approach that supports XML content reuse, content management, and makes the dynamic assembly of personalized information possible.
Create customized content or different variations of the same document without creating new documents, such as:
- Beginner and Advanced Guides
- Policy and Procedure Manuals based on city, region or country
- Employee Handbooks for every level within the organization
- Admin and Programmer Guides
- And much more
Manage Your Content from a Single Source
Save time by using advanced topic-based authoring features that allow for maximum content reuse and publishing to multiple deliverables and outputs.
- Use Flare not only to publish to multiple devices and platforms, but to re-purpose your content for multiple audiences
- Single source images with MadCap Capture, bundled free with Flare
- Content changes are made universally from a single source and updated across projects for consistent, accurate documentation
- Authors can focus on creating content instead of constantly formatting and reformatting
- Projects and content are accurate and consistent across multiple deliverables and completed faster with far less content duplication
After converting our first project to Flare, we experienced a five-fold reduction in the total time required to generate output for a product with three deliverables in three different formats in 14 languages totaling 126 individual target files —going down from roughly 25 hours to about 5 hours”
—Jason Micallef | Technical Communications Manager GFI Software
Create Professional Looking Print, Online and Mobile Content in Minutes with Built-in Project Templates
With 20 out-of-the-box project templates, you can start using today's leading technical authoring tool in minutes. Publish stunning, professionally designed print brochures and books, online Help systems, eBooks, and more without the need for additional graphic design resources.
Project templates include:
- Knowledge Base
- Online (Basic / Advanced)
- Print & Online (Basic / Advanced)
- Brochures (3fold, 4fold)
- Book & eBook (Basic / Advanced)
- Policies & Procedures (Basic / Advanced)
- Product Foldout (3fold, 4fold, 5fold, 6fold, 12fold)
- User Guide (Basic / Advanced)
Scalable for Enterprise
A single user or team of hundreds, Flare was built for scalability.
Flare offers advanced publishing features, including batch target builds for automated publishing:
- Schedule any number of builds for a particular date or time
- Use the command line publishing for multiple targets
Floating/Enterprise licenses include:
- Unlimited installations/activations across company
- Bundled maintenance (1, 2 and 3 year contract available) for Floating
- Flexibility – add any number of users at any time using the same license key
- Installation on a network server and accessed remotely
Flexible and Future-proof
Flare is built on open standards with support for XML, CSS, and HTML, all designed to keep your content completely open, transparent and accessible.
With Flare, you will never be locked into a proprietary system:
- Open Architecture
All Flare files are separate XHTML, XML or CSS documents—topics, TOCs, browse sequences, targets, skins, snippets, glossaries, destinations, condition tag sets, variable sets, and more—meaning they can be opened in any editor, including Notepad. Files and topics can even be programmatically created outside of Flare and copied into the Flare project structure to be used instantly by Flare.
- Standard XHTML Content with W3C Schema Compliance
Flare content conforms to industry standard schema requirements from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). Flare’s code adheres to the W3C XHTML Schema specification, making it easy to integrate with other XML or XHTML applications.
Analytics, Reporting & Social Collaboration
Combine back-end reporting and analytics along with front-end social collaboration with MadCap Pulse to track user satisfaction and improve content.
Team Collaboration and Project Management
A streamlined approach to team collaboration, Flare provides workflows designed for efficient content development and management.
- Contribution and review for managers and subject matter experts
- Free review mode with MadCap Contributor
- Global project linking for large teams
- Manage complex projects with reports, file tagging and task assignments
Contribution & Review
Enjoy close collaboration between authors, subject matter experts and other content contributors with Flare's built-in topic review and contribution features.
Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) can utilize MadCap Contributor to make changes and annotations:
- Reviews: Email topics for feedback and changes directly from within Flare or leverage Flare and Contributor's external resources and SharePoint integration to send review packages
- Contributions: SMEs and other content contributors can create new documents and files for inclusion into your documentation
Note: The trial version of MadCap Contributor includes a non-expiring, free review with annotation mode, allowing for perpetual review between SME, managers and Flare authors.
Leverage Existing Content
Flare makes it easy to import a wide range of file types into your new XML-based authoring environment. Migrate legacy content with easy import of Adobe® RoboHelp® and FrameMaker®, Microsoft® Word™, XHTML, HTM, CHM, DITA and many more.
- Import content from other applications directly into Flare
- Enhanced FrameMaker® import support, including:
- Master Pages automatically converted to Page Layouts
- Import FrameMaker® images with call-outs
- Proprietary FrameMaker® Equations automatically converted to MathML on import
For more information on switching from RoboHelp® and FrameMaker®, visit our resource section here.
Did You Know? Importing Best Practices.
More than 30 best-practice conversion topics are discussed in the support guide – covering everything from TOCs to graphics to style sheets.
MadCap Flare Import Guide (PDF)
Create projects from the file types shown below.
MadCap Flare Transition from FrameMaker® Guide (PDF)
Moving from Adobe® FrameMaker® to MadCap Flare is easy.
Get a Visual Representation of the Content with an Advanced WYSIWYG XML Editor
Flare’s visual XML Editor is packed with features designed to provide authoring efficiency and content creation in a familiar, easy-to-use Microsoft® Word-like authoring environment. The patented Structure Bar technology allows you to simultaneously create/edit content and view a “what-you-see-is-what-you-get” (WYSIWYG) representation of the underlying XML structure of a document without having to view the raw XML code.
Edit or rearrange content using Structure Bars to:
- Drag and drop content for quick and easy editing
- Apply conditional tags
- Revise formatting
- Re-number/re-order lists
- And more
Real-time Split View Editor
A synchronized spilt view shows both the XML Editor and the Text Editor in real time, with horizontal and vertical orientation options, auto complete and code validation with syntax coloring.
Web and Print Editing Modes
The XML Editor includes two authoring/editing modes – Web Layout and Print Layout mode. Toggle between the two display modes see how content will appear in each medium.
Content Management and Source Control
MadCap Flare includes support for every source control tool on the market by virtue of the fact that Flare uses a wide open architecture. Instead of using proprietary files and databases, all content and project files in Flare are stored as independent XML files.
- Perforce, Apache, Subversion, Microsoft® Team Foundation® and Visual Source Safe® are directly integrated and accessed from Flare
- Native Source Control Integration for Subversion, Team Foundation Server® and Visual SourceSafe (third-party plug-ins not required)
- Mappings can be made to any local, network, or SharePoint™ resource
- Plus, integration with all industry source control systems that use the MS SCC API interface
Not using source control? Flare's External Resources feature allows files and folders to be mapped and shared among any number of projects or users.
Multi-language Authoring, Translation and Publishing, including Bi-directional Support
Flare was built to support multi-language authoring, translation and publishing. Flare supports Unicode language characters, double-byte Asian languages and Eastern European languages, as well as bi-directional language authoring and publishing including Hebrew, Arabic and Persian.
Advanced single-sourcing features make translation more seamless in Flare, such as easy access to content, snippets, variables and more. Integration with MadCap Lingo provides unparalleled support for the translation and localization process.
- Controlled Language/Simplified Technical English support
- Through the integration with Acrolinx and Etteplan | Tedopres HyperSTE, authors can use a standardized vocabulary and style to improve consistency, eliminate ambiguity and reduce complexity. Ensure compliance with corporate terminology and style guide rules using advanced interactive checker and quality measurement features.
- Fully-integrated translation workflow with MadCap Lingo
- Seamless transfer of content between Flare and MadCap Lingo using Project Packager
- Use MadCap Lingo to translate content or package content for translation
- Gain visibility with reports such as word and segment count, exact matches already in translation memory, content requiring translation and more
- Language and business services with MadTranslations
- Complete end-to-end authoring, consulting, translation and publishing services
- Tools and expertise in maximizing content re-use, from initial authoring stage through final translation stage
View VERTU Ti's Online User Guides and PDFs
Create documentation that is accessible to users with visual and hearing impairments.
- Section 508 and WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) compliant
- View the Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) for MadCap Flare (PDF)
- Insert alt and title attributes to links, images, QR codes, equations and more
- Receive compiler warnings when alt and title text is missing. Receive warnings when:
- Image elements are missing alternate text
- Equation elements are missing alternate text
- QR code elements are missing alternate text
- Tables are missing captions and summaries
- Tables are missing header elements
- Form elements are missing labels
- Frame elements are missing titles and names
A Fully Integrated Suite for Content Development
The MadPak Suite includes five fully integrated technical communication and content development tools for authoring & publishing, contribution & review, analysis & reporting, translation management and multimedia creation.