Desktop-based Content Management with MadCap Flare
MadCap Flare offers a robust, cost-effective alternative to traditional content management systems, giving you the ability to easily create, manage and publish content from a central user interface.
Flare can store numerous content chunks – such as topics, documents, images, multimedia, equations or other file types – in a central repository. Use Flare’s interface for storing, controlling, revising, enriching and publishing documentation through:
MadCap Flare offers seamless integration via MadCap Central, a powerful cloud-based platform for content and project management, hosting, build automation, task tracking and more. You can learn more about MadCap Central here.
Built-in support is also available for Microsoft® Visual SourceSafe®, Microsoft™ Team Foundation Server®, Perforce®, and Apache Subversion.
Create or import content into the Flare file structure or repository.
- Import legacy content into an XHTML/XML format for maximum reusability
- Use the internal content editor to edit topics (content created by or imported into Flare)
- Use an Internal text editor for direct editing of the content or tags in the code
- Direct access to the topics code (XHTML)
- Create authoring templates (topics and everything else)
- Create new content in a reusable XHTML format
- Continue to edit documents in their default editors
Easily publish content to multiple formats from a single content repository. Use what you need, for any given output, and store what you don’t. Flare allows for the streamlined creation of documents and outputs from component parts.
For example, Flare enables users to assemble individual component topics into a map (document) structure using a TOC. These components can be reused (rather than copied and pasted) within another document or across multiple documents using other TOCs. This ensures that content is consistent across an entire documentation set and allows for maximum reuse. Advanced single sourcing features such as variables and condition tags are a tremendous time saver when managing and updating large amounts of content.
Personalize content to specific brand guidelines or audiences – skins, TOCs, variables, snippets, variables in snippets, conditionality, glossaries, stylesheets, CSS mediums, snippet conditionalization, master pages and more.
Workflows for Content Contributors
A streamlined approach to team collaboration, Flare provides workflows designed for efficient content development and management.
- Contribution and review for managers and subject matter experts
- Manage complex projects with reports, file tagging and task assignments
- Free review mode with MadCap Contributor
- Global project linking for large teams
Search Tools and Metadata Support
Find content and files with search tools and metadata support for topics and outputs.
- Find and Replace
- Find in Files
- Metadata support in topics and outputs
Flare was built to support multi-language authoring, translation and publishing. Flare supports Unicode language characters, double-byte Asian languages and Eastern European languages, as well as right-to-left language authoring and publishing including Hebrew, Arabic and Persian.
Additionally, MadCap Lingo, a powerful CAT (Computer Assisted Translation) tool for streamlining the entire translation process, for translation management support and reporting.