Rich Forristall, Product Manager for BRS Help and Education Systems at Burgess Group, is also the founder and content developer of The Red Chicken Design Group.  Rich attended MadWorld 2013, and writes a blog on his website.  He has a great tip for moving files in Flare, so we’ve re-published it here (with Rich’s permission) for you to check out:

First time Flare users might get a bit lost trying to figure out where all those pretty bell and whistles are hiding. In my experience I found myself scratching my head looking through menus and probing the web for what this icon does or what term means. So after suffering my own learning curve, I’ve decided to share some tips from time to time.

Here’s one that may help you..

Moving or deleting multiple files in Flare

So simple you would think. However, in Flare’s Content Explorer pane you can only select one file at a time. By design I think that’s great since it will prevent you from possibly moving or deleting some files that you didn’t mean to. However, when you decide you need to do some file cleansing, and you’ll want to do it in bulk, you’ll need to click this icon.

flareicon1

Once selected the window will split in two. The right side of the window will display the files within the folder selected on the left. Here is where users can now select multiple files to do with as they please.

flareselect1

To read the rest of the post, visit Rich’s blog.

About The Author

Jennifer White

About Jennifer White

Jennifer White, a Product Evangelist at MadCap Software, has over 15 years of experience in writing, broadcasting, public speaking, marketing and social media management. Jennifer has also served as a social media manager, blogger, on-air host, writer and content provider for CBS Radio and Fox TV.

Last Modified: October 2, 2014

This entry was posted in Guest Post, MadCap Flare, Tips & Tricks. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments

• oliver February 13, 2017 at 2:52 AM

Hi,
    Thanks for the article.
    Great feature if it worked correctly.
    Flare encounters an Unknown error when I try and move large amounts of files.

System.NullReferenceException occurred at 13/02/2017 10:51:49

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

• oliver February 13, 2017 at 3:07 AM

After running the Bulk move and keeping the links, the links were not ACTUALLY kept. Users of Flare be warned as you may not notice this at first. Obviously the output will then show broken links were the images should be.

(Ive now just moved the images back to the original location, pointless feature until it can be trusted.)

• Rachel Kim Rachel Kim February 13, 2017 at 12:24 PM

Hi Oliver, looks like you encountered some unusual behavior. Can you contact tech support with how you encountered this issue? Thanks and let me know if you have any questions! http://www.madcapsoftware.com/support/contact-options.aspx

• Sabine March 31, 2017 at 12:00 AM

I have had the same experience: broken links after moving files to another (new) map. I moved items not by ‘bulk’ but per file though, I ran a test a couple of months ago, which seemed fine… So I moved a lot of files after that test the last 2 months. Last week I found out that there were 315 broken links. I had to repair them the hard way, but like to know if in future this problem is fixed. Many thanks

• Rachel Kim Rachel Kim March 31, 2017 at 11:31 AM

If files are moved within Flare, then you shouldn’t run into any issues. However, if you’re moving files outside of Flare (in Windows Explorer), you will receive broken links because Flare is unable to detect the linking between files.

Can you please reach out to Technical Support with the steps on how to reproduce the behavior? We can help you directly with your issue. Thanks!

Have Something to Say?