A great question was posted in the Users of MadCap Flare group on LinkedIn:

Any helpful hints for getting data out of Excel cells and pasting into a Flare table other than tedious copying and pasting each one?

Yeah, copying and pasting cell after cell sounds pretty excruciating. Here’s a much less time-consuming alternative.

Step #1: In Excel, highlight the cells that you want to copy to Flare.

Excel-table

Step #2: In a topic in Flare, paste your content. Look to the bottom right of the pasted section. You should see a small icon pallet. Click the down arrow next to it and select “Paste Table.”

pasteIntoFlare

Step #3: Right-click the Table block bar and apply a table style if you want.

ApplytableStyle

This is what your table will look like in Flare:

TableFormatted

Quick, easy, and with no infuriating copying-and-pasting!

About The Author

Jennifer White

About Jennifer White

Jennifer White, a Product Evangelist at MadCap Software, has over 15 years of experience in writing, broadcasting, public speaking, marketing and social media management. Jennifer has also served as a social media manager, blogger, on-air host, writer and content provider for CBS Radio and Fox TV.

Last Modified: October 28, 2013

This entry was posted in MadCap Flare, Tips & Tricks. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments

• Thomas Bro February 28, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Hmmm – well if you have hundreds of tables (i.e. IF), and these do not all have the same table tag, there is quite some copy/paste/right click/formatting. I would say.

• Brittany May 9, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I was just struggling with a giant spare parts table and this was perfect!
    Thank you for saving me hours of work. This is why I love Flare!

• Paul May 17, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Amazing, thank you. Literally saved me hours.

• Paul Pehrson December 31, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I wish it were this easy to copy and paste tables from Acrobat!

• Ludger January 6, 2015 at 2:37 AM

One option to automate the data transfer from Excel: In one of my projects I used the Excel XML-Format to transform the data via XSLT into HTML-tables and then beautified them with the (great!) table-styles in Flare. This works (more or less) automatically but requires some additonal tools and scripting.

• Kathy McKinney March 17, 2017 at 5:38 AM

I understand the concept, but can you provide step-by-step directions or recommend a site or book that would walk me thru the specifics? Thank you!

• MARK SPRINGTHORPE December 23, 2015 at 5:56 AM

Thanks that will save me a lot of time as I have to import a lot of tables from Excel.

• Martin Ley September 22, 2016 at 8:11 AM

Works with Word too. Why have I only just discovered this?!! I was just copying/pasting and trying to Convert to Table after that, which never worked properly!!

Have Something to Say?