If you haven’t met MadCap Analyzer yet, take a moment to acquaint yourself with the tool that’s sure to become your very best friend.
What is MadCap Analyzer?
MadCap Analyzer is a powerful analytic tool for your Flare projects. With Analyzer, you’ll find critical issues immediately, like missing content or broken links, and non-critical technical issues like unused style sheets or images that can be removed from projects. Analyzer helps you create custom reports and share information with documentation teams and managers to identify issues, track progress, and ensure quality and efficiency in your documentation.
Who Should Use MadCap Analyzer?
- Review documentation and identify issues to improve quality
- Keep project files small and eliminate unused content
- Reduce translation cost by eliminating duplicate or unused elements
- Identify suggestions for content such as snippets and variables and utilize content reuse
- Track progress of project fixes made by documentation team
- Track new project status and identify ways to improve how content is developed and maintained
How Does MadCap Analyzer Work?
1. Open your Flare project and Analyzer will scan your project for issues.
2. Critical issues in your project will be listed on the Analyzer Summary.
3. Review Analyzer’s suggestions and determine which changes to make to optimize your project content.
4. Generate reports from the information in Analyzer to share with your team.
Why is MadCap Analyzer Unique?
MadCap Analyzer’s “dynamic” reports allow you to go directly to the issue in the file it exists in, or fix an error with options in the report itself. To the best of our knowledge, there is no other tool like it in our industry.
Some of the Dynamic reports include:
- Markup Suggestions: You can see a list of files containing areas in the XHTML markup (code) that can be improved (e.g., empty tags, CDATA tags, empty attributes, excessive spaces, etc.)
- Issues Viewer: Lets you view all issues for specific files in a Flare project.
- Find Elements: Gives you a way to locate files containing particular tag, styles, etc.
- Frequent Segments: You can view a list of segments that occur frequently in your project. If you notice that certain segments are repeated numerous times in your project, you can easily convert them to snippets or variables.
- Writing Suggestions: Outlines places in your project where you can make writing improvements based on industry-wide standards. For example, Analyzer can locate files where an h1 or h2 heading has only one subheading or places that have consecutive heading with no content between them, etc.
- Similar Segments: You can view a list of segments of text in your project that are similar, but not identical to each other. You may want to modify similar segments so that they become identical to each other, or even convert them to snippets.
- And much more…
In addition to all of the “static” reports available in Flare, Analyzer provides eight more reports for suggestions, bringing the total number of static reports to 74.
Some of the static reports include:
- Index Keyword Suggestions
- Snippet Suggestions
- New Style Suggestions
- Replace Local Style Suggestions
- Accessibility Suggestions
- Markup Suggestions
- Writing Suggestions
- Variable Suggestions
Learn More About MadCap Analyzer
To find out how MadCap customers use Analyzer to troubleshoot and improve their documentation, check out these case studies. But you don’t have to take their word for it! Try Analyzer out for yourself and download a free 30-day trial here. You’ll also have access to free Gold level tech support for the duration of your trial.